I know the feeling, snapping an amazing photo while you’re out of town and the longing to share it instantly that goes with getting the perfect shot.
But there’s an important reason why you should avoid doing just that.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t ever share your photos, just that there’s a time and a place for everything.
Think about it, posting a photo of yourself on a beach enjoying a cold one is sending a clear message to not only your friends and family, but the world, that you’re not home.
In an area where property crime is high, I think you can see how that could be a recipe for disaster.
Your welcome home could end up being a trashed or empty house.
Here are some ways to avoid coming home from vacation to a surprise.
1. Wait until you get home to post photos – I know this one is hard for most people, but I manage to pull it off every time I’m away.
2. Make sure your social media settings are set to private. This one is harder than it looks. I spent the better part of an hour fiddling around on Facebook trying to make my profile essentially blank, and even then, I’m not sure how successful I was.
3. Remember that everything you post online stays online. Yep, you read that right, so always think twice before posting photos, videos, or anything for that matter.
4. Never share personal information online or with strangers. You would think this one would be obvious, but social media seems to have made people turn a blind eye to the dangers of sharing your phone number, province, family details, etc.
5. Keep your feelings to yourself – I’m a private person, so this has never been much of a problem for me, but I know there are people that struggle with this concept.
6. Turn off the tracking. Prevent social media from pinning your location. If you tell the world you’re three hours from home, the world is going to listen – remember that.
7. Understand the dangers of public wifi – This is becoming more and more of a concern, and it’s probably something a lot of people don’t consider. Users on unsecured wifi networks can easily be monitored, that means you’re more susceptible to hackers.
I know these tips don’t solve all of your problems, but I hope they help.